Saturday
What a start! Each Sat. I get up really early and go to the home of some friends who live south of town to walk with a group of people. (I used to run before my knees quit on me, and lots of young people meet there to run.) I got up, had my coffee, let the dogs out and fed them, got dressed, and went out the door. As soon as I shut the door -- locking it behind me since no one else was up -- I realized I didn't have my car keys. (The night before our daughter had used my car so we'd have her van with the girls' car seats. My keys weren't where I usually keep them. I put something in my pocket where I keep my keys, but not what I needed.) No worries ... I'll just text Susan. I did ... no response. Okay, I hate to wake Katie up, but she's downstairs anyway, so I'll text her ... no response. Damn, I hate to do this because it's my fault I'm in this predicament, but I'll just have to call her ... no answer. Ditto for Katie. Damn! So I walked my usual loop downtown -- a 30 min. walk, which is what I usually do in the week, but on Sat. we normally walk closer to 75 - 90 mins. When I returned, one of the kids was up and playing outside, so I was able to get in the house. I see this not as a function of joint retirement, but of basic human differences (Susan is a late sleeper; I'm an earlier riser ... I keep my phone charged and by my bedside; she does neither lest an incoming text or call awaken her). And my forgetfulness, which I have to admit I'm more prone to as I've gotten older. Damn.
The granddaughters and I had breakfast then went to the Farmers Market for fresh veggies, fruit, and baked goods. Katie and the girls went to a picnic/kickball game with her reunion, but came back a little early since it was hot and humid. We piddled around in the afternoon, and all 5 of us went to the Grill for dinner since Katie's reunion event wasn't until later. We got the girls bathed, read to, and to bed. Katie came in before too late, meaning we were still up. Despite my self-inflicted rocky start, a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment